While the state budget in its entirety will not be graded for the Civitas Action Freedom Rankings, we do intend to grade floor amendments, in both chambers, that have a relevant impact on the economic prosperity of North Carolinians and an impact on freedom.
Floor amendments that will be considered for grading will include, but not be limited to, the following issues:
- Tax cuts or increases, including the introduction of new taxes
- Efforts to limit or expand school choice options
- Taxpayer funding of political campaigns
- Corporate welfare expansion, such as JDIG or film subsidies
- Earmark spending, i.e. monies appropriated for specific local governments, projects or nonprofits
Civitas Action reserves the right to grade other budget floor amendments that impact freedom in North Carolina.
Civitas Action will grade floor votes on amendments made to the budget in both the House and Senate.
Civitas Action is a 501(c)(4) non-profit that educates and informs North Carolinians on policy issues and the actions of their elected officials.